Almost 200 Years of Matcha History
Born from almost 200 years growing premium Japanese matcha the right way, in the right place, with the right people. Steeped in tradition, our tea leaves are still shade-grown, hand-picked, and stone-ground on the rolling hills of Uji, the birthplace of matcha.
We are not new to green tea. We are not chasing the matcha trend. We span generations.
We are Ujido.
What Makes Ujido Matcha Superior?
Location and tradition. Our tea is mainly grown in Uji, on the rolling hills where matcha has been traditionally grown for 800 years. Our leaves come from small family farms using ancient traditions to guide them. Shade-grown, never machine harvested, hand-selected for quality, and stone-ground by tea masters of Japan.
- Location – mainly from the fertile Uji region, renowned for the finest teas
- Hand-Picked – for the youngest and greenest of leaves
- Stone-Ground – to preserve vital ingredients, antioxidants, and flavor
- Tradition – grown in covered tea gardens for highest nutrition
- History – almost two centuries growing matcha tea
- Flavor – the uniquely mellow, creamy, sweet flavor of quality matcha
- Earth Friendly – traditional environmentally conscious practices
- Quality – high quality control to ensure the safest, most flavorful tea
- Desired – preferred matcha of Imperial Royalty and Zen Buddhist Monks
The Health Benefits of Ujido Matcha
- Antioxidants – 130 times the antioxidants of regular brewed green tea
- Antioxidant Potency – an ORAC score of 1,573 or 6 times the potency of goji/dark chocolate and 15 times wild blueberries/acai
- Chlorophyll – an underestimated nutrient linked to energy, detox, and longevity
- L-Theanine – an amino acid that relaxes body and mind without drowsiness, counters stress, bolsters focus, and improves sleep
- EGCG – a catechin found in tea linked to heart health and weight management benefits
- Focus – natural stress relievers combine with caffeine for more energy and less anxiety
- Weight Loss – ingredients linked to a boost in metabolism, burnt calories, and controled appetite
The History of Matcha
Over 800 years ago, a young Buddhist priest by the name Myōan Eisai left his native Japan on a spiritual journey for greater awareness and knowledge. Eisai returned to Japan with a new found philosophy called ‘Chan’ and some unique tea seeds. Using the Chan philosophy Myōan Eisai created the Rinzai School of Zen Buddhism in Japan and became Zen Master Eisai.
The tea seeds were given to a learned Buddhist priest named Myoe Shonnin to plant on the grounds of a temple near Kyoto. These special tea leaves where made into a green tea powder called matcha. The Buddhist monks found that matcha had exceptional health and spiritual qualities and used this tea to increase focus and chi energy for Zen meditation.
The Rise of Uji
Master Myoe discovered a sacred location with the perfect climate and soil to grow superior matcha. This place was called Uji, located in the beautiful hills of southern Kyoto. Soon Uji gained the reputation of producing the finest matcha in all of Japan.
The fame and quality of Uji-grown matcha spread far and wide and even caught the attention of the most powerful ruler of that region, Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu (builder of the Famous Zen Temple Kinkakuji in Kyoto). Today Uji matcha is still known as the highest quality matcha grown anywhere and is sought after by matcha enthusiasts both within Japan and the outside world.
Ujido literally translates to “The Uji Way” and perfectly explains who we are, where we’re from, and what we stand for. We remain dedicated to the path laid out by Zen Masters and dedicated tea farmers so many generations ago. We never dilute our tea with the leaves from other countries.
That would not be the Uji Way.