Over 185 Years of Matcha History
In 1832, a humble tea farmer named Tune-emon Takizo began tilling soil on a small patch of land in Uji, the birthplace of matcha. He had little in material possessions, but his simple desire to provide for his family, uphold tradition, and grow the sweetest of tea leaves slowly created success for him and his family.
One hundred and twenty years later, Takizo’s descendants opened their first tea shop, café, and retail location where they could sell their quality hand-picked leaves, teas steeped in Japanese heritage, and delicious tea-infused delicacies. That tea shop remains at the center of Ujido.
We are not new to matcha. We are matcha. We are not chasing a trend. We are the reason behind that trend. We are authentic and honored to carry on our family heritage. Takizo’s humble passion for family, tradition, and quality continue to drive everything we do.
We are Ujido.
What Makes Ujido Matcha Superior?
Location and tradition. Our tea is grown in Uji, the rolling hills of Southern Kyoto where matcha has been traditionally grown for hundreds of years. Our leaves are grown on family farms using ancient traditions, hand-picked, and stone ground by the tea masters only found in Uji.
- Location – from the fertile Uji River valley, renowned for the finest teas
- Hand-Picked – for the youngest and greenest of leaves
- Stone Ground – to preserve vital ingredients, antioxidants, and flavor
- Tradition – grown in covered tea gardens for highest nutrition
- History – almost two centuries growing matcha tea
- Flavor – the uniquely mellow, creamy, sweet flavor of quality matcha
- Earth Friendly – traditional environmentally conscious practices
- Quality – high quality control to ensure the safest, most flavorful tea
- Desired – preferred matcha of Imperial Royalty and Zen Buddhist Monks
The Health Benefits of Ujido Matcha
- Antioxidants – 130 times the antioxidants of brewed green tea
- Antioxidant Potency – an ORAC score of 1,573, or 6 times the potency of goji/dark chocolate and 15 times wild blueberries/acai
- Chlorophyll – an underestimated nutrient linked to energy, detox, and longevity
- L-Theanine – an amino acid that relaxes the body and mind without drowsiness, counters stress, bolsters focus, and improves sleep
- EGCG – a catechin found in tea linked to heart and weight management benefits
- Focus – natural stress relievers and caffeine for more energy and less anxiety
- Weight Loss – boost metabolism, burn calories, and controls appetite
Visit Our Tea Shop & Cafe
Come visit the heart of Ujido in Japan!
19-3 Todo Aramaki
Uji, Kyoto 611-0013 Japan
The History of Matcha
Over 800 years ago a young Buddhist priest by the name Myoan Eisai left his native Japan on a spiritual journey for greater awareness and knowledge. Eisai returned to Japan with a new found philosophy called ‘Chan’ and some unique tea seeds. Using the Chan philosophy Myōan Eisai created the Rinzai School of Zen Buddhism in Japan and became Zen Master Eisai.
The Special Tea seeds were given to a learned Buddhist priest named Myoe shonnin to plant on the grounds of a temple near Kyoto. These special tea leaves made a green tea powder called matcha. The Buddhist monks found that matcha had exceptional health and spiritual qualities and used this tea to increase focus and chi energy for Zen meditation.
The Rise of Uji
During this time, Master Myoe discovered a sacred location with the perfect climate and soil to grow superior matcha. This place was called Uji, located in the beautiful hills of southern Kyoto. Soon Uji gained the reputation of producing the finest matcha in all of Japan.
The fame and quality of Uji-grown matcha spread far and wide and even caught the attention of the most powerful ruler of that region, Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu (builder of the Famous Zen Temple Kinkakuji in Kyoto). Today Uji-grown matcha is still known as the highest quality matcha in the world and is sought after by matcha enthusiasts far and wide.
Ujido literally translates to “The Uji Way” and perfectly explains who we are, where we’re from, and what we stand for. We remain dedicated to the path laid out by Zen Masters and dedicated tea farmers so many generations ago. Ujido is a proud Uji company. We come from Uji, with over 180 years of growing and serving matcha tea in Kyoto, Japan. We never dilute our tea with the leaves from other regions or countries. That would not be the Uji Way.